Prep 15 mins
Cook 18 mins
A very nice dessert cookie type snack that young people just love. This recipe goes back many years and has been a family favorite.
- 2 1⁄2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 1⁄4 cups brown sugar, packed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup crunchy peanut butter
- 1 large egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup golden shortening
- 1 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1⁄2 cup fine sweetened coconut
- In a mixing bowl, combine flour, brown sugar, salt and crunchy peanut butter.
- Add butter and shortening and using a pastry blender, blend until crumbly.
- In a small bowl, mix together egg and vanilla extract; whisk until smooth.
- Add egg/vanilla mixture to flour mixture and mix until incorporated.
- Press mixture into a 10" x 15" cookie sheet.
- Bake in preheated 350 F oven for 15 minutes.
- FROSTING: In a 4 cup measure, add chocolate chips and microwave on medium-high for 2 minutes.
- Stir well and microwave on medium-high for another 1 minute.
- Remove and stir until chocolate is smooth.
- Add butter and coconut and stir until well combined.
- Spread over warm base.
- Let cool completely.
- Cut into squares.
Very nice! I prepared the bottom layer in the food processor which worked out very well. Since I did not have any chunky peanut butter, I added a few roasted peanuts to the mix. Otherwise, I made as directed and also sprinkled with a little extra coconut for a wonderful treat! Thanks for another terrific recipe, Uncle Bill!
Well, Uncle Bill, I have to say that along with all of your other recipes, this one is another winner I whipped this up today to take over to a friends house over the weekend, I like the idea of baking in a 10x15-in cookie sheet, as the baking time is much shorter and the bars don't turn out too overly dry. Since there is not alot of mixing involved, they came out with a wonderful light texture, and intense peanut butter flavor. I did use milk chocolate chips, for the topping and doubled the topping recipe, also, I added some mini chocolate chips to the batter. This is a wonderful bar recipe that I will make again soon... peanut butter and chocolate, how could it get any better LOL! thanks so much for posting....Kittencal:)