1/2 Photos of Uncle Bill's Chicken Barbecued on a Rotissiere
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This chicken is so delicious when barbecued on an indoor Barbecue Rotissiere, turns out tender and moist. The orange and spices permeate throughout the chicken and the flavors are so good. It is so easy to prepare.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Remove any parts from cavity (if any) and set aside for other use.
- 2Wash cavity and the whole chicken with cold water, then dry with paper towelling.
- 3Boil a large kettle of water to scalding hot.
- 4Place the chicken in a large pot and pour the scalding water over the entire bird including the cavities.
- 5The skin will shrink against the chicken meat and help keep the chicken moist.
- 6Dry the chicken with paper towels.
- 7Weigh the chicken to determine the weight for cooking.
- 8Sprinkle inside body cavity with dried dill weed, granulated garlic powder and coarse black pepper.
- 9Now stuff the cavity with the cut oranges, squeezing them slightly to release some orange juices. Insert the rosemary sprig.
- 10Tie the wings and legs with butcher string to keep them from flopping around when barbecueing.
- 11Place the chicken over the rotissiere spikes and attach the holder. Place the chicken in the centre of the holder.
- 12Rub or brush olive oil generously over the entire chicken and then sprinkle the five spice powder generoulsy over the chicken.
- 13Place the chicken in the rotissiere and close the door.
- 14Set your timer for 15 minutes per pound of chicken. Therefore, a 3 pound chicken will take 45 minutes to barbecue.
- 15It is not necessary to baste the chicken while it is barbeceuing.
- 16You may wish to test for doneness. Insert a meat thermometre into the breast of the chicken and it should read between 175 - 180°F Do not overcook.
- 17When the chicken is done, remove onto a plate and remove from the spit.
- 18Cover with aluminum foil and let rest for about 20 minutes before slicing.
- 19The skin of the chicken will be nice and brown and so tasty, that's if you wish to eat the skin.
- 20You can also use 2 large lemons (quartered) instead of oranges to give the chicken a nice lemony taste.
- 21You can use a larger chicken, up to 5 pounds.
- 22I prefer to use the Ron Popiel Barbecue Rotissiere or the Baby George Foreman Rotissiere.
- 23Serve with a Curry/Onion Sauce.
- 24NOTE: During cleanup, spray your counter, cutting board, pots, pans, utensils and other areas with full strength bleach that were used to prepare the chicken.
- 25You may wish to rub the entire outside of the chicken with plenty of butter, instead of olive oil. Sprinkle with dried bread crumbs or Panko crumbs and pat down into the butter. You will get a nicely browned and crispy skin.
Browse Our Top Whole Chicken Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Whole Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Chicken Barbecued on a Rotissiere
Serving Size: 1 (401 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 877.2
- Calories from Fat 583
- Total Fat 64.8 g
- Saturated Fat 16.5 g
- Cholesterol 255.3 mg
- Sodium 239.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 6.3 g
- Dietary Fiber 1.3 g
- Sugars 4.4 g
- Protein 64.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
Chinese five spice powder