Prep 5 mins
Cook 20 mins
This cheese sauce is not difficult to make. It is great on toast, on cooked cauliflower or broccoli.
- 6 tablespoons butter
- 5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 cups whole milk, homogenized
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard
- 3 tablespoons whole milk, homogenized
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon Tabasco sauce
- 4 ounces sharp cheddar cheese, grated
- 3 ounces swiss cheese or 3 ounces monterey jack cheese, grated
- In a medium size saucepan on medium heat, melt butter.
- Remove from heat and add flour and stir well to blend.
- Add about 1/2 cup of milk and stir well to blend.
- Return to heat on medium-high heat and gradually add the remainder of milk, stirring constantly.
- In a small cup, mix together mustard and 3 tablespoons of milk.
- Add this mixture to the sauce and stir well to blend.
- Add salt, black pepper and Tabasco sauce and stir well.
- Continue to heat milk mixture until near boil, stirring constantly.
- Add cheese by handfuls, stirring all the while until cheese is melted.
- Bring sauce to boil and cook for about 2 minute, stirring continuously and until sauce thickens slightly.
- Remove from heat and serve hot on veggies or toast.
Simple and great over steamed broccoli, Excelent recipe, Thanks.
Well, the cheese sauce I made was delicious. My family just loved it. Although, next time I'll put my dang glasses on. I mixed up the cheeses. My sauce was heavy on the swiss and light with the cheddar. I can't wait to try it the right way. I served it with breaded, boneless chicken thighs, cauliflower, and a green salad. Yummy.
Thanks for the great recipe! Simple & easy to make with great flavor. I used the sauce in my tuna casserole & it was perfect. This will be used again :)