Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A tasty mixture of pasta, fresh asparagus and a cream cheese alfredo sauce. Finally put together a very tasty recipe.
- 16 cups water
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 12 ounces tomato spinach bow tie pasta
- 8 ounces fresh asparagus
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1⁄2 cup finely chopped onion
- 1⁄4 teaspoon hot red pepper flakes
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese, cut into pieces
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice, freshly squeezed
- 1⁄16 teaspoon freshly ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup freshly grated parmigiano-reggiano cheese
- In a large cooking pot or pasta pot, add 16 cups of water or until 3/4 full in pot.
- Add olive oil and salt and bring to boil.
- Add bow tie pasta and cook uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes or until el-dente.
- In the meantime, break off tough ends of asparagus and discard.
- Place asparagus in a small 5" x 8" microwave safe casserole dish.
- Add 2 tablespoons of water to dish.
- Place dish in microwave and cover with a plastic round cover.
- Microwave on HIGH (full power) for 4 minutes.
- Immediately remove from microwave, drain and immerse in cold water to cool.
- When cooled, drain and cut asparagus into 1/2" pieces; set aside.
- In a small frying pan, add 2 tablespoons of butter, garlic, onions and red hot pepper flakes and saute on medium-high heat for about 4 minutes or until onions are translucent, stirring often.
- In a medium-size saucepan on medium-high heat, add 1/2 cup of butter, cream cheese, whipping cream and lemon juice.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and cook until cheese is melted, stirring constantly.
- Add garlic/onion mixture to cream cheese mixture and whisk well to blend.
- Add nutmeg, pepper, salt and parmesan cheese and simmer for 3 to 5 minutes until the sauce starts to thicken; stirring often.
- When bow tie pasta is cooked, drain well and add cream mixture to the pasta; stir well to coat pasta.
- Add additional grated parmesan cheese if desired.
- Serve immediately with garlic bread, cooked chicken or prawns.
- You may also use linguini, spaghetti, rotini and any other penne pastas.