Recipe by William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin
This is a delightful and light side dish with any dinner meal. It took me 2 attempts to come up with this delightful dish. It is also very good served on a slice of Italian or French bread. With all the fresh veggies that are in the markets now, this is a good time to make this recipe. The 30 minutes time is for boiling the beets and beans.
Top Review by andypandy
Two of my favourite things to eat beets and green beans. This went perfectly with my leftover ham, I wish i had the recipe one day earlier, then I could have enjoyed this two days in a row. Will be a regular in my kitchen.
- 12 ounces fresh small beets
- 6 ounces fresh green string beans
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- In a medium sized saucepan, add whole beets, (Do not cut the top or bottom of the beets.).
- Snip the ends off the string beans and discard, then add them to the saucepan with beets. Cover with hot water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to a strong simmer, place lid on saucepan and cook the beans for 10 minutes. Remove beans into a mixing bowl and cover with cold water; set aside.
- Continue to cook the beets for an additional 20 - 25 minutes or just until you can pierce the beets with a fork; do not overcook.
- Immediately drain the beets and cover with cold water, drain and cover again with cold water and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Cut the tips and bottom of the beets, peel the skins and discard.
- Cut the beets into quarters and then slice them to about 1/8 inch thick slices.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced beets and stir to coat with butter.
- Cut the beans in half and add to the frying pan stirring to coat with butter.
- Saute' the beets/beans for 8 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the sugar, salt, granulated garlic powder, dried dill weed and whipping cream, stirring to coat beets/beans.
- Continue to simmer uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes or until a nice creamy sauce begins to form and thicken slightly.
- Serve as a side dish or over a slice of bread.
- NOTE: You can also use yellow string beans.
- It takes about 6 - 1 1/2" diameter beets for 12 ounces.
- It takes about 16 - 6" long beans for 6 ounces.