1/1 Photo of Uncle Bill's Beets & String Beans in a Cream Sauce
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
This is a delightful and light side dish with any dinner meal. It took me 2 attempts to come up with this delightful dish. It is also very good served on a slice of Italian or French bread. With all the fresh veggies that are in the markets now, this is a good time to make this recipe. The 30 minutes time is for boiling the beets and beans.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1In a medium sized saucepan, add whole beets, (Do not cut the top or bottom of the beets.).
- 2Snip the ends off the string beans and discard, then add them to the saucepan with beets. Cover with hot water and bring to boil.
- 3Reduce heat to a strong simmer, place lid on saucepan and cook the beans for 10 minutes. Remove beans into a mixing bowl and cover with cold water; set aside.
- 4Continue to cook the beets for an additional 20 - 25 minutes or just until you can pierce the beets with a fork; do not overcook.
- 5Immediately drain the beets and cover with cold water, drain and cover again with cold water and let sit for 3 minutes.
- 6Cut the tips and bottom of the beets, peel the skins and discard.
- 7Cut the beets into quarters and then slice them to about 1/8 inch thick slices.
- 8In a large frying pan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- 9Add the sliced beets and stir to coat with butter.
- 10Cut the beans in half and add to the frying pan stirring to coat with butter.
- 11Saute' the beets/beans for 8 minutes, mixing often.
- 12Add the sugar, salt, granulated garlic powder, dried dill weed and whipping cream, stirring to coat beets/beans.
- 13Continue to simmer uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes or until a nice creamy sauce begins to form and thicken slightly.
- 14Serve as a side dish or over a slice of bread.
- 15NOTE: You can also use yellow string beans.
- 16It takes about 6 - 1 1/2" diameter beets for 12 ounces.
- 17It takes about 16 - 6" long beans for 6 ounces.
Browse Our Top Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Green/Yellow Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Beets & String Beans in a Cream Sauce
Serving Size: 1 (191 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 317.0
- Calories from Fat 254
- Total Fat 28.2 g
- Saturated Fat 17.6 g
- Cholesterol 91.6 mg
- Sodium 749.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 15.4 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.2 g
- Sugars 9.7 g
- Protein 3.3 g