Prep 30 mins
Cook 13 mins
This is a delightful and light side dish with any dinner meal. It took me 2 attempts to come up with this delightful dish. It is also very good served on a slice of Italian or French bread. With all the fresh veggies that are in the markets now, this is a good time to make this recipe. The 30 minutes time is for boiling the beets and beans.
- 12 ounces fresh small beets
- 6 ounces fresh green string beans
- 4 tablespoons butter
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 3⁄4 teaspoon dried dill weed
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- In a medium sized saucepan, add whole beets, (Do not cut the top or bottom of the beets.).
- Snip the ends off the string beans and discard, then add them to the saucepan with beets. Cover with hot water and bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to a strong simmer, place lid on saucepan and cook the beans for 10 minutes. Remove beans into a mixing bowl and cover with cold water; set aside.
- Continue to cook the beets for an additional 20 - 25 minutes or just until you can pierce the beets with a fork; do not overcook.
- Immediately drain the beets and cover with cold water, drain and cover again with cold water and let sit for 3 minutes.
- Cut the tips and bottom of the beets, peel the skins and discard.
- Cut the beets into quarters and then slice them to about 1/8 inch thick slices.
- In a large frying pan, melt butter on medium-high heat.
- Add the sliced beets and stir to coat with butter.
- Cut the beans in half and add to the frying pan stirring to coat with butter.
- Saute' the beets/beans for 8 minutes, mixing often.
- Add the sugar, salt, granulated garlic powder, dried dill weed and whipping cream, stirring to coat beets/beans.
- Continue to simmer uncovered for another 3 to 5 minutes or until a nice creamy sauce begins to form and thicken slightly.
- Serve as a side dish or over a slice of bread.
- NOTE: You can also use yellow string beans.
- It takes about 6 - 1 1/2" diameter beets for 12 ounces.
- It takes about 16 - 6" long beans for 6 ounces.
Two of my favourite things to eat beets and green beans. This went perfectly with my leftover ham, I wish i had the recipe one day earlier, then I could have enjoyed this two days in a row. Will be a regular in my kitchen.
Wow, I can't express how yummy this is! A wonderful beet dish that I feel is too special to be a mere side. I will continue to serve it up as a main dish with french bread in the future. The only change I made was to use sour cream (diluted with a bit of milk) in place of the whipping cream so as to avoid a run to the store. Worked great. Thanks Uncle Bill!