I made this recipe just 2 days ago using several of my original recipes. Made various modifications and additions to have this turn out so tasty.
- 3 1⁄2 lbs outside round roast
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 4 large garlic cloves, peeled and quartered
- 2 slices bacon, cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1 (10 ounce) can mushrooms, bits and pieces include liquid
- 1 (10 ounce) can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 (2 ounce) envelope onion soup mix
- 1 teaspoon seasoning salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 18 white pearl onions (silver skin onions)
- 12 baby carrots
- 6 medium yukon gold potatoes, scrubbed
- 6 medium fresh mushrooms, cut in half
- 1 cup dry red wine
- 2 large celery ribs, cut into chunks
- Heat olive oil on medium-high heat in a heavy bottom frying pan.
- Sear and brown roast on all sides.
- Let roast cook for a few minutes.
- Using a narrow sharp paring knife, punch holes in the roast at various intervals to about 1 1/2 inches in depth.
- Stuff each hole with one piece of bacon and one piece of garlic, push down into the cut.
- Place roast in a slow cooker set on low heat.
- Add water, bits and pieces mushrooms including liquid, and mushroom soup.
- Sprinkle onion soup mix over the roast.
- Now add salt, pepper.
- Remove the outer skin from the onions and add to the crock pot.
- Add baby carrots, whole potatoes, fresh mushrooms and red wine.
- Cover and cook on low heat for 5 hours, turning the roast at least 4 times during cooking.
- At the end of 5 hours, add celery, cover and continue to cook until the time reaches 6 hours.
- Cut or slice the beef and serve with veggies and the tasty gravy that is cooked.
- A nice piece of Italian bread or sour dough bread goes very nicely to dip into the gravy.