14 hrs 10 mins
William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
It takes time to make this Au Juis but it is well worth it.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 lbs beef bones or 2 lbs soup bones, with marrow
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed pepper black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1/2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup cold water
- 1FIRST STEP.
- 2Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- 3In a medium size roasting pan, add soup bones, olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and tomato paste; stir together.
- 4Bake covered at 325 F for about 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- 5Now add vegetable seasoning, garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper corns, salt and water; mix well.
- 6Continue to roast at 325 F covered, for about 12 hours, stirring occasionally.
- 7DO NOT LET INGREDIENTS GO DRY, add additional water if required.
- 8When done, strain through a fine sieve and discard solids.
- 9Return au juis to the roasting pan.
- 10Add red wine and bring to boil.
- 11In a small bowl, whisk together tapioca starch and cold water until smooth.
- 12While au juis is boiling, add tapioca mixture in small amounts, stirring constantly until au juis thickens just slightly.
- 13Au juis should be quite runny.
- 14Adjust seasonings to taste.
- 15Heat to serve over Prime Rib Roast or other roasts of your choice.
Browse Our Top Onions Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Onions Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Uncle Bill's Beef Au Juis
Serving Size: 1 (1467 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 217.9
- Calories from Fat 125
- Total Fat 13.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.0 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 1579.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 17.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 4.0 g
- Sugars 8.8 g
- Protein 3.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included: