Prep 10 mins
Cook 14 hrs
It takes time to make this Au Juis but it is well worth it.
- 2 lbs beef bones or 2 lbs soup bones, with marrow
- 4 tablespoons olive oil or 4 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1 large carrot, sliced
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 6 fluid ounces tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon vegetable seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 teaspoons dried rosemary
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed pepper black peppercorns
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 3 cups water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- FIRST STEP.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a medium size roasting pan, add soup bones, olive oil, onion, carrot, celery and tomato paste; stir together.
- Bake covered at 325 F for about 2 hours, stirring frequently.
- Now add vegetable seasoning, garlic, rosemary, thyme, pepper corns, salt and water; mix well.
- Continue to roast at 325 F covered, for about 12 hours, stirring occasionally.
- DO NOT LET INGREDIENTS GO DRY, add additional water if required.
- When done, strain through a fine sieve and discard solids.
- Return au juis to the roasting pan.
- Add red wine and bring to boil.
- In a small bowl, whisk together tapioca starch and cold water until smooth.
- While au juis is boiling, add tapioca mixture in small amounts, stirring constantly until au juis thickens just slightly.
- Au juis should be quite runny.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Heat to serve over Prime Rib Roast or other roasts of your choice.
Uncle Bill, your recipes are always the best. My hubby and I are planning to do a prime rib dinner, and wanted something gourmet, thanks.