Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
I developed and cooked this recipe for 140 persons for Christmas two years ago at a Special Fund Raising Function and it was a tremendous hit with everyone. The dill weed gives the turkey a most delightful flavor.
- 5 lbs skinless boneless turkey breasts
- 5 lbs boneless skinless turkey thighs
- 1⁄2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons granulated garlic powder
- 3⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 3⁄4 teaspoon seasoning salt (optional)
- 2 tablespoons dried dill weed (more if desired)
- 1 cup water
- 6 medium onions (optional)
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
- Prepare a large enough roasting pan with a metal rack to accomodate both turkey portions in a single layer.
- Place the turkey on the rack.
- Pour olive oil over the turkey portions to coat.
- Sprinkle with granulated garlic powder, black pepper, seasoning salt and dried dill weed.
- Pour 1 cup of water into the bottom of the pan.
- Cover the roasting pan tightly with aluminum foil.
- Place roasting pan on middle rack and bake in preheated 425 F oven for 30 minutes.
- Reduce oven heat to 350 F and continue to bake for another 45 minutes.
- At this point, check for doneness by cutting into the breast and thighs to make sure that there is no pink showing and the juices flow clear. You may also insert a meat thermometer into the thickest portion of the breast or thigh and it should read between 175 F - 180°F Do not overcook.
- You may have to remove the turkey breast before the thighs as the thighs take a bit longer to cook.
- When turkey is done, remove from oven, tent and let sit for about 15 minutes before carving.
- You may also wish to use only turkey breast.
- As an added option, you may wish to place some medium size, whole, peeled onions on the rack to bake.
- These are always good served with butter along with the turkey.
This method worked very well and resulted in moist, tender turkey. I roasted one 4 1/2lb breast and it took all of the recommended time, plus. And, I forgot to reduce the temp. for the first hour. I left the foil off the last 15-20 minutes to brown and crisp the skin. I'm not a fan of dill so I used sage instead.
I read the reviews and the receipe and thought this would be a good meal and make good lunch sandwiches. I did not use the onions. I was very disapointed with the taste of this meat. I ate the meal and skipped the lunch.
This is very good. I reduced the ingredients down to 2 lbs of turkey breast.