Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
A very tasty low calories, fat and cholesterol soup. Quick and easy to make.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs fresh asparagus spears
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 medium onion, chopped smal
- 6 cups water
- 2 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 3 tablespoons chicken soup base
- 1 tablespoon fennel seed
- 1⁄4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Break off tough ends of asparagus and discard.
- Cut tips off asparagus and set aside.
- Cut remainder of asparagus stems into 1 inch pieces.
- In a frying pan, add butter and chopped onions and saute' until onions are translucent, about 5 minutes.
- In a large saucepan, add water, cubed potatoes, asparagus pieces, saute'ed onions and cook until potatoes are tender, about 15 minutes.
- In a food processor or blender, puree' soup in batches and return to saucepan.
- Add chicken soup base, fennel seeds, pepper, salt and asparagus tips and cook on medium heat until tips are soft and start to dissolve, about 10 minutes.
- Adjust seasonings to taste.
- Serve soup hot.
I added parmesan, but still felt like it needed more...something. Nice diet soup for me, though.
As a asparagus lover, I was eager to try this dish. My own rendition used light butter added to the soup after the mix was pureed - cooking the onions in cooking spray - maximizing the flavor while keeping the calories low. Based on the previous reviewer comments about the fennel, I kept mine in a herb pouch. Loved the combination of fennel and asparagus, something that I had never considered despite my fondness for both. A light and lovely supper which was a wonderful taste of springtime.
This soup was very good. a lovely green and the texture perfect. All the flavors blended well and came through. The fennel added a nice flavor to the broth, but when you bit into one it came on to strong. I will definitely make the soup again using a tea ball or chachet for the fennel seeds to keep them out of the finished soup.