Prep 40 mins
Cook 2 hrs
I made this cake for our wedding 34 years ago. I had the highest of compliments for the taste of the cake.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs maraschino red cherries
- 1⁄2 lb mixed candied peel
- 2 1⁄4 lbs mixed candied fruit
- 1⁄2 lb candied pineapple, cut in small wedges
- 3 cups sultana raisins
- 1 1⁄2 cups walnut pieces
- 2 1⁄4 cups whole almonds, blanched
- 1 1⁄4 cups dark rum
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons ground mace
- 4 1⁄4 lbs all-purpose flour, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups butter, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups shortening, at room temperature
- 2 1⁄2 cups granulated sugar
- 9 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon salt
- In a large mixing bowl with a tight fitting lid, combine cherries, peel, mixed fruit, pineapple wedges, raisins, almonds, walnut pieces, whole almonds and rum. Mix well.
- Sprinkle mace over mixture and mix well.
- Cover and let marinate for 24 hours, stirring at least 3 times during the 24 hours.
- Prepare a set of 3 - 9 inch round by 4 inch deep Xmas pans and 2 - 8 inch by 4 1/2 inch bread loaf pans by lining complete interior with either brown paper or parchmet paper.
- After lining the pans, grease the inside with a vegetable oil.
- After the 24 hours of marinating, add 3 cups of flour to fruit mixture and using a wooden spoon, mix to coat fruit well.
- In a medium size bowl, beat together butter and shortening.
- Add sugar and beat well.
- Add eggs, one at a time and beat well after each addition.
- Add remaining 1 1/4 cups of flour and salt to egg mixture and stir well until combined.
- Add this mixture to the fruit mixture and mix by hand until well blended.
- Preheat oven to 325°F.
- Fill the prepared pans 3/4 full and level.
- The 9 inch round pans will take about 2 1/2 hours to bake.
- The loaf pans will take about 2 hours to bake.
- If top starts to brown too quickly, place a piece of aluminum foil over the top.
- To test for doneness, insert a wooden tester and if comes out dry, then the cakes are cooked.
- Remove from oven and let the cakes sit in the pans for about 15 minutes before removing from pans onto wire racks to cool.
- Peel off paper that lined the cakes and discard.
- When the cakes are completely cooled, wrap each cake with plastic wrap, then overwrap with aluminum foil.
- Store in a cool place for 4 to 6 weeks.
- Makes about 13 pounds.
- If desired, coat the cakes with your choice of prepared icing.