Prep 10 mins
Cook 10 mins
This is going to sound crazy. I've served this dish to dozens of people who greatly enjoyed it, but then didn't believe me when I told them what was actually in it. But it's good.
- 1 lb firm tofu
- frying oil
- 1⁄4 cup vegan mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup ketchup
- 1⁄2 cup maple syrup (a bit less really)
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- diced black olives (optional)
- fresh green onion (optional)
- sesame seeds (optional)
- Mix up your sauce. You want it to be half "fry soss" (ketchup and veganaise in equal parts) and half (or a little less than half) maple syrup. Mix in mustard powder to taste. It's going to taste different when it's thinly coating the tofu.
- Crumble the drained firm tofu into chunks about an inch and a half across. Fry it in a half inch of oil, turning occasionally until the pieces have a puffed, golden brown look.
- Let the pieces cool and cover them in sauce and add desired optional ingredients. Serve atop greens of your choice or eat plain.