Don't let the sparse ingredient list fool you. This is a recipe that's so easy to make yet so delicious that everyone inhales it. My mother was raised on this soup and she served it often to us. My grown daughters now demand it when they are home. To this day, entering the house on a cold day and smelling this soup is the most comforting, delicious aroma imaginable. It's also non-fat if you use skim milk. (But I like half-and-half, myself!)
- Peel and cube potatoes.
- Put in a saucepan along with the onions and celery.
- Add water, but don't quite cover the vegetables.
- Bring to a boil, lower heat, cover and simmer for 25 minutes, or until all of the vegetables are very tender.
- Using a potato masher, coarsely crush the potatoes, but don't mash them--you want chunks left.
- Add enough milk or cream to thin to desired thickness and add salt& pepper to taste.
- (It will take a lot of salt!).