1/3 Photos of Unbelievably Delicious Macaroni Pie
1 hr 10 mins
This is a dish from my childhood that has taken me years to recreate. I think I've finally done it. I can't go to family dinners without it! In Jamaica, we use Scotch Bonnet peppers but you can use as much or as little hot peppers as you like. Feel free to vary the combination of seasonings until you find the combination that makes your taste buds dance. You can also cut the pie into little squares and serve them on toothpicks as an appetizer. And the best thing? It freezes very well and tastes even better as leftovers!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (14 ounce) package macaroni
- 4 cups grated yellow cheddar cheese
- 1 (12 ounce) can evaporated milk
- 1 large egg
- 3 ounces butter
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 stalks scallions, chopped (white part only)
- 1 clove garlic (chopped)
- 1/2 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 hot chili pepper, chopped (no seeds)
- 1 cup dried breadcrumbs
- 1Cook the macaroni in salted water until it is well done but not soggy.
- 2Drain well.
- 3Meanwhile, place the onion, garlic, escallion, green pepper and hot pepper in a blender with a little of the milk and puree.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Take out 1 cup of the grated cheese and mix with the breadcrumbs.
- 6Set aside.
- 7Grease a 10"x6" casserole dish with a little bit of the butter.
- 8Heat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 9Mix the hot macaroni with the butter until all the butter is melted.
- 10Add the remaining cheese and all of the seasoning mixture and mix until the melted cheese begins to form a sauce.
- 11Once everything is well incorporated, add the egg and mix well.
- 12Pour mixture into the prepared baking dish and top with breadcrumb/cheese mixture.
- 13Pour remaining evaporated milk slowly over the top of the mixture, taking care not to let the dish overflow.
- 14Let stand for about 15 mins so that the milk is absorbed.
- 15Bake for about 30 mins or until the top is brown and crusty and the milk has been absorbed.
- 16Let stand for another 15 minutes before serving.
Browse Our Top One-Dish Meal Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Unbelievably Delicious Macaroni Pie
Serving Size: 1 (207 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 8
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 617.5
- Calories from Fat 294
- Total Fat 32.6 g
- Saturated Fat 19.8 g
- Cholesterol 117.7 mg
- Sodium 584.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 54.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.7 g
- Sugars 3.4 g
- Protein 26.5 g