Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
A rich, creamy delectable chowder. Must have comfort food on cold winter evenings. Add a caesar salad and some crusty french bread and you have a meal. Don't know how well it keeps, there is never any left over. Just ask our neighbors. Sure to turn any oyster haters into oysters lovers
- 1 vidalia onions or 1 maui onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1⁄2 red pepper
- 1 carrot
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 pint oyster (with liquor)
- 1 can smoked oysters (optional)
- 1 cup lump crabmeat
- 1 cup clam juice (or seafood juice)
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄2 teaspoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1 cup light cream
- 1 cup milk
- chopped parsley or cilantro (for garnish)
- In a large sauce pan over medum heat melt butter and saute onions, pepper and carrots until onions are clear.
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add worcestershire sauce, Old Bay seasoning, salt and pepper to onion mixture.
- Add the clam juice or seafood juice and bring to boil.
- Turn down to medium.
- Add oysters, and crab and simmer until oysters plump up.
- Add up to 1 Tbsp flour and stir.
- Add cream and milk.
- Sprinkle paprika over top while simmering.
- Do not stir.
- Cook until heated through and thickened.
- Sprinkle parsley or cilantro on top.