Recipe by CulinaryExplorer
I have been really wanting to come up with my very own recipe and this is it! I spent a lot of time thinking about flavors that I wanted to try together and settled on these as I hadn't seen them paired very often. The base pie recipe is one I have used before and I just tweaked it to suit my ideas. The crust was the way my family has always made them. It is definately not low calorie, but its worth it! I have made it with the ingredients listed and that is my favorite way but I have also opted for all non fat options where I could and it was still great. It has such a delicious texture to it and it isn't super rich or sweet. I really hope you enjoy it! *don't be discouraged by the number of steps it really is simple to make!* You will have some extra of both the pie filling and the coconut filling but I just put them into glasses for a crustless dessert! Plan to make this well ahead of when you wish to serve it as the pie really firms up the second day better.
Top Review by Angel-mae & cleopatra's mummy
FANTASTIC i had to make a few changes-i used fresh whipped cream instead of cool whip as we don't get that here in Australia and i gently folded into the rewhipped lemon ,i also used real lemon juice as that's what i had-it worked fine but next time i will add some more to make it more lemony a definate keeper thankyou for sharing
- 354.88 ml all-purpose flour
- 7.39 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 118.29 ml vegetable oil
- 29.58 ml milk
- 2 lemons, zest of
- 28.34 g envelope unflavored gelatin
- 236.59 ml water
- 12.32 ml lemon extract
- 2.46 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g package cream cheese, softened
- 118.29 ml sugar
- 0.25 ml salt
- 4.92 ml vanilla extract
- 226.79 g Cool Whip, thawed
- toasted coconut, for garnishing
- yellow food coloring
Coconut Filling (use 1 1/2 cups)
- 28.34 g package sugar-free instant vanilla pudding mix
- 473.18 ml milk
- 118.29 ml grated coconut (finely chopped in processor)
- 2.46 ml coconut extract
Directions See How It's Made
- Coconut Filling Directions:.
- In small bowl mix all ingredients with a hand mixer til smooth, and refrigerate til set.
- Pie Crust Directions:.
- Mix all dry ingredients in a 9-inch pie pan.
- Mix oil and milk together, then add to dry ingredients in pan.
- With fingers mix til all just moist and press lightly into pie pan. (do not overmix!).
- With a fork poke holes along bottom and sides of the crust and bake at 350 degrees F. for 8-10 minutes.
- Set aside to cool.
- Pie Directions:.
- Sprinkle Gelatin over water in small saucepan, add lemon extract and vanilla extract. Heat until gelatin dissolves, stirring constantly. Remove and let cool some.
- In large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese, sugar, salt, and vanilla til fluffy.
- Gradually beat in warm gelatin mix until well mixed. (will now be runny). It is very important to do this gradually or you will end up with lumps you can't get out later.
- Chill until thickened (about 30 minutes).
- Beat again to soften some, and add about 5 drops of yellow food coloring. Then add cool whip and beat until well mixed and fluffy.
- Put about half of the mix into baked pie crust, making a dipped area to hold the coconut filling in the center.
- Spoon about 1 1/2 cup of the coconut filling into the pie and spread it evenly.
- Top with remaining Lemon filling until pie is as full as you can get it.
- Sprinkle toasted coconut on top and chill for at least 2 hours before serving.