Prep 30 mins
Cook 50 mins
I made up this recipe because I didn't want to throw away the beautiful red water the beets had been cooked in.
- 1 cup uncooked wheat berries or 1 cup brown rice or 1 cup barley (or any other grain that stands up to cooking and doesn't lose its shape)
- 2 cups water, which has been used to cook beets and has become very red
- 1 cup of cold mashed potatoes, as dry as possible or 1 cup cooked polenta, cold and dry
- 4 egg yolks or 2 whole eggs or 2 whole egg substitute
- sesame seeds, to coat (optional)
- salt and black pepper
- Tabasco sauce
- cooked peas or parsley, to make these more colorful (optional)
- cook the grain in the beet juice which is very hot- about 25 minutes in a covered pan with a tight lid on on a very low flame.
- When grains are tender but still chewy, remove and drain if there is any excess liquid.
- Allow to cool.
- Add the rest of the cold ingredients and shape into burgers.
- If too"wet" add bread crumbs.
- Dip into sesame seeds if desired.
- Chill in burger form and place on a non-stick tray.
- bake 350 degrees for about 15 minutes until lightly browned.