Prep 10 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
This recipe is from the 1974 edition of Mother's In the Kitchen, the official cookbook of La Leche League. My copy is worn, but in surprisingly good condition. I'm copying this recipe here for safekeeping
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1⁄2 cup apples or 1⁄2 cup pear, grated
- 1 1⁄2 tablespoons cocoa
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups quick-cooking oats
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (or currants)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon vanilla
- Melt butter in saucepan.
- Add sugar, apple, cocoa, and salt.
- Boil for one minute and remove from heat.
- Add oatmeal and nuts or currants and vanilla.
- Mix thoroughly and drop by teaspoonfuls onto waxed paper.
- When cold, form into balls and roll in powdered sugar, if desired.