Prep 15 mins
Cook 2 hrs
From the 1961 "Lutheran Favorites" of St. James Lutheran Church, Howard Lake, Minnesota. Submitted by Mrs. Mike Kramer.
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 cup brown sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons cocoa
- 2 cups crushed graham crackers
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts
- 1⁄2 cup chocolate chips
- 1⁄2 cup butterscotch chips
- Heat first 5 ingredients but do not boil.
- Add graham crackers, vanilla, and nuts.
- Put in well-greased 8 inch pan.
- Chill until set.
- Frost with chocolate chips and butterscotch chips melted together.
- Cut in bars.
This is a very good base recipe, if anyone is on a lookout for no bake recipes. A bit sweet, I would reduce the sugar to 3/4 cup and for more intense chocolate flavor and color, increase the cocoa powder to 1/4 cup and salt to 3/4 teaspoon. Oh, and I did boil the mixture for maybe 1 minute, stirring all along, and it is nicely firm but not hard now, without being chilled in fridge.