Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
For all you low carb dieters out there, don't feel like a carb outcast at your next picnic! The cauliflower stands in for potatoes on this dish. Some cooked, chopped bacon would be a nice addition.
- 1 head cauliflower, washed and cut into small chunks
- 2 cups celery, diced
- 1 cup red onion, diced
- 2 cups mayonnaise
- 1⁄4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons Splenda sugar substitute (or other sugar substitute)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 4 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
- In a microwave safe casserole dish, add a Tbsp of water along with the chunked cauliflower.
- Cover and cook on High for 7 minutes until tender but not mushy; remove.
- Leave dish covered and let dish sit for another 3-5 minutes.
- Or, you can steam the cauliflower, until tender.
- In a large serving bowl, combine cauliflower with celery and onion.
- In a separate bowl, combine mayo, vinegar, salt, Splenda and pepper; pour this mixture over the cauliflower; mix well.
- Lightly stir in chopped egg.
- Chill and serve.
I really enjoyed this recipe, I have to admit however; I modified it quite a bit due to our personal preferences. Instead of adding splenda and vinegar, I added 1 1/2 Tbsp of mustard and about 1/8th of a cup to 1/4 cup of pickle juice to the mayonaise mixture. I also added pickles to the salad as well. I found that 8 minutes steamed the cauliflower just right, not mushy, still slightly crunchy. I will definately be making this dish again. I've missed potato salad, glad to finally find a recipe that is comparable. thanks for sharing!
I halved this recipe, and really enjoyed this. I didn't cook the cauliflower, because I like mine crisp. This is the second version of cauliflower "potato" salad I've made! I really enjoy it. I might reduce the vinegar a bit, because my sauce turned out a little runny. I also added some bacon pieces to it....made it extra delicious! Thanks for sharing!
I reduced this to 3 servings, followed all directions, adding 1/4 c of diced green pepper. This was a great treat and I didn't even miss the potatoes! I will be making this a lot now that the weather is getting warmer. Thanks for sharing DancingCook. Made for Healthy Choices Tag Game.