Prep 10 mins
Cook 15 mins
Not very traditional, but good for those who want to celebrate Chanukah and still keep to their diets (the words Chanukah and diet usually cancel each other out).
- 4 russet potatoes, peeled
- 1 medium red onion, finely chopped
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 bunch chives, snipped
- 1 egg
- 1 egg white, lightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 teaspoons canola oil
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Brush 2 baking sheets with 1 tsp oil each.
- Loosely grate potatoes and onion in food processor and place in large mixing bowl.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- Add flour and onion and mix well.
- Mix in eggs and 1 tsp oil.
- Spoon out the batter onto baking sheets and flattern slightly.
- with oven racks in lower and middle positions, bake until brown on the bottom (about 10 minutes).
- Turn and bake another 5 or until brown.
- Garnish liberally with chives and serve with sour cream or non-fat yogurt.
- (Soy versions of these milk-based products will work also).
These were good. I was surprised by how crispy they got just from baking and not frying. I used pre-shredded frozen potatoes, cause i'm lazy and put the chives in the potatoes, not just to garnish. Very good, thanks!
Traditional or not, these are just so delicious, and that’s what counts! Quick and easy to make, fabulously clear instructions and because they are also low in fat, I know I’ll be making these often. I’ve already made them twice in recent weeks. The second time I made these, I used a brown onion (same as what Americans call a yellow onion) and 3 cloves of garlic, all minced. We all liked these so much that the second time, they were eaten as the main course - how's that for decadence! - with dollops of (not-so-low in fat) Greek yoghurt, and a simple tomato salad and kalamata olives. Yum! Just thinking about it makes me want to make them again!
I was trying to decide which baked latke recipe to follow and after reading all the reviews about this one, I had to go for it and boy, am I glad I did. These were delicious and I felt good about eating them plus they really are easy to make. I've tried other latke recipes but this is definitely the best. Thanks so much for this fantastic recipe!