Recipe by Annacia
I have really been trying hard to lower the fat content of my foods for health reasons. In doing so I have been having fish a lot more often but I found myself missing the coating and texture of fried fish. I tried this as a test and the result isn't half bad if you realize that it's a compromise to keep your heart pumping. It won't work well with thin fillets as they cook too fast but with thicker fish (any kind, I used trout that I had in the freezer) this is a nice change from plain baked.
- 6 (6 ounce) fish steaks (or 6 smaller whole fish)
- 1 cup cornmeal
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8-1⁄4 teaspoon white pepper
- butter-flavored cooking spray
Directions See How It's Made
- Set oven to broil to preheat.
- Mix cornmeal, salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Rinse and pat excess water from fish.
- roll fish in mixed cornmeal till nicely coated.
- Place fish on broiler pan or baking sheet and spray lightly with the Becel Topping Spray or butter flavored Pam.
- Place in oven (not too close to heat).
- Broil till nicely brown,about 5 mins - depending on thickness of fish, turn fish and brown the other side.