Recipe by mermaidmagic
This came from Rosie Daly's cookbook, In the Kitchen with Rosie, Oprah's Favorite Recipes. The yogurt adds a great flavor to this dish. My husband and I love it.
Top Review by M. Joan
Good flavor. I used 6 large chicken thighs, so cut coating ingredients in half and could cut down even more. I didn't have yogurt so substituted with some sour cream. Thanks for a tasty recipe!
- light vegetable oil cooking spray
- 6 chicken drumsticks, skin removed
- 3 whole chicken breasts, halved and skin removed
- 3 1⁄2 cups ice water
- 1 cup plain nonfat yogurt
For The Breading
- 1 cup dried Italian breadcrumbs
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon Old Bay Seasoning
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon creole seasoning
- 1⁄8 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 1 dash cayenne pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried oregano
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Coat a baking sheet with 3 sprays of the vegetable oil.
- Put the chicken in a large bowl with the ice water.
- Put the yogurt into a medium bowl.
- Set both bowls aside.
- Toss all the breading ingredients into a large, tightly-sealing plastic bag.
- Seal and shake well to mix.
- Remove 2 pieces of chicken from the ice water.
- Roll each piece in the yogurt.
- Put the chicken into the plastic bag, reseal, and shake to coat thouroughly.
- Transfer the breaded chicken to the prepared baking sheet.
- Repeat the process until all 12 pieces are breaded.
- Spray the chicken lightly with the vegetable oil.
- Place the baking sheet on the bottom shelf of the oven and bake for 1 hour, turning the pieces every 20 minutes to allow even browning.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.