Recipe by Toby Jermain
This is Great !!!! It is one of the best oven-fried chicken dishes I have ever run across. Prep time includes minimum chilling time in the fridge.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and patted dry
- 3⁄4 teaspoon garlic granules, divided,approximately
- 1 cup yogurt cheese (see recipe #66860) or 1 pint plain nonfat yogurt, drained until reduced in volume by half or 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1⁄4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts or 1⁄4 cup chopped chives (green onions)
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs, preferably made with sourdough french bread with crust trimmed off (about 6 oz)
- 1⁄4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed to release oils
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, several times
Directions See How It's Made
- Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- Brush with olive oil or spray generously with nonstick cooking spray or both.
- We use both.
- Sprinkle chicken breasts with 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- Set aside while preparing remaining ingredients.
- Combine yogurt cheese, parsley, scallions, 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, and more salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil, paprika, cayenne, remaining 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, and more salt and pepper to taste; drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and toss thoroughly with a fork; repeat with remaining oil, and tossing again.
- In a small nonstick skillet, saute breadcrumbs until lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- Set aside, and let cool to room temperature.
- Divide the yogurt mixture into 6 portions, and thickly coat the bone-side of each chicken breast half with yogurt mixture, using a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
- Press chicken breasts, cheese side down, into breadcrumbs, and pat crumbs so they adhere.
- Place breaded chicken pieces, breaded side up, on prepared baking sheet.
- Sprinkle chicken with any remaining breadcrumbs, and pat down again.
- Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- Alternately, place, uncovered in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- Position rack in top third of oven, and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Bake chicken until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- Serve hot or at room temperature.