1 hr 35 mins
Toby Jermain's Note:
This is Great !!!! It is one of the best oven-fried chicken dishes I have ever run across. Prep time includes minimum chilling time in the fridge.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breast halves, fat discarded,washed,and patted dry
- 3/4 teaspoon garlic granules, divided,approximately
- 1 cup yogurt cheese (see Yogurt Cheese - 'Labanee', in Arabic) or 1 pint plain nonfat yogurt, drained until reduced in volume by half or 8 ounces low-fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh parsley leaves
- 1/4 cup chopped scallions, white and green parts or 1/4 cup chopped chives (green onions)
- 2 cups fresh white breadcrumbs, preferably made with sourdough french bread with crust trimmed off (about 6 oz)
- 1/4 cup freshly grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil, lightly crushed to release oils
- 1 teaspoon sweet paprika
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- salt & freshly ground black pepper, several times
- 1Line a cookie sheet with foil.
- 2Brush with olive oil or spray generously with nonstick cooking spray or both.
- 3We use both.
- 4Sprinkle chicken breasts with 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, salt, and freshly ground black pepper to taste.
- 5Set aside while preparing remaining ingredients.
- 6Combine yogurt cheese, parsley, scallions, 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, and more salt and pepper to taste, and set aside.
- 7Combine the breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, dried basil, paprika, cayenne, remaining 1/4 Tsp granulated garlic, and more salt and pepper to taste; drizzle with 1 Tbsp olive oil, and toss thoroughly with a fork; repeat with remaining oil, and tossing again.
- 8In a small nonstick skillet, saute breadcrumbs until lightly browned, stirring regularly.
- 9Set aside, and let cool to room temperature.
- 10Divide the yogurt mixture into 6 portions, and thickly coat the bone-side of each chicken breast half with yogurt mixture, using a rubber spatula to spread evenly.
- 11Press chicken breasts, cheese side down, into breadcrumbs, and pat crumbs so they adhere.
- 12Place breaded chicken pieces, breaded side up, on prepared baking sheet.
- 13Sprinkle chicken with any remaining breadcrumbs, and pat down again.
- 14Refrigerate chicken, uncovered, for at least 30 minutes or up to 3 hours.
- 15Alternately, place, uncovered in freezer for 15-20 minutes.
- 16Position rack in top third of oven, and preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- 17Bake chicken until golden brown, about 35 minutes.
- 18Serve hot or at room temperature.
Browse Our Top Chicken Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Un-Fried Chicken
Serving Size: 1 (282 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 237.1
- Calories from Fat 83
- Total Fat 9.3 g
- Saturated Fat 2.1 g
- Cholesterol 79.1 mg
- Sodium 279.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.7 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.7 g
- Sugars 0.8 g
- Protein 28.1 g