Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
The recipe title speaks for itself!
- 1 lb spanish sweet onion (about 3 medium onions)
- 1⁄2 cup fine dry breadcrumb
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme, crushed
- 1⁄2 teaspoon morton lite salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon paprika
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground pepper
- 3 egg whites, beaten until foamy
- Peel, slice and separate onions into rings.
- Combine crumbs and seasonings, mix well.
- Dip onion rings in egg whites then in crumb mixture to coat each piece.
- Place onions in single layer on greased baking sheet.
- Bake at 400°F for 20 minutes or until onions are crisp and tender.
These are *good*!! :D I only made a third of the recipe, but did use the full amount of crumb mixture as I like a lot of breading on my rings. Also, I used sea salt, as I have no lite salt on hand. The addition of thyme had me quizzled, as I've never used it with onion rings before, but I braved it and am pleased to report that I devoured my whole little batch in about seven minutes. While they're not exactly like the greasy treats from the deep fryer, they're a fab alternative that I'm making again tomorrow. Thanks a million for posting this!