Recipe by tomoko matsunaga
I love risotto and I bought some arborio rice from the nice Italian/french shop that I found today. I used whatever ingredients I could find in the fridge and it came up the best risotto that I ever made before! Oh, and It would be nice if you put some chopped bacon too!
- 60 g butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 big onion, diced
- 2 fat garlic cloves, chopped finely
- 2 cups arborio rice
- 1 (400 g) can tomatoes, chopped
- 1 cup red wine
- 2 tablespoons mixed herbs
- 2 -3 bay leaves
- 6 -7 cups chicken stock (I mixed with chicken and vegetable stock, just enough stock to cook rice)
- 3 tablespoons mediterranean tomato chutney
- 3 tablespoons kalamata olives with sun-dried tomatoes and garlic in oil (I bought it in a jar)
- 1 tablespoon basil pesto
- 1⁄2 cup roughly chopped roasted red capsicum
- 1 cup blue cheese (grated)
Directions See How It's Made
- Simmer stock and keep it side.
- In a large heavy pan, melt the butter & oil, cook garlic and onion for about 2-3 minutes, or until onion become soft and clear.
- Add the rice and sauté it too until it becomes translucent (this will take 7-10 minutes), stirring constantly to keep it from sticking.
- Deglaze with the red wine, and once the wine has evaporated completely, add tomato and a ladle of simmering broth and pour 1 cup stock. Add rest of the ingredients except blue cheese.
- Stir stock in the next before all the liquid is absorbed.
- Continue cooking, stirring and adding broth as the rice absorbs it, until the rice barely reaches the al dente stage.
- Add blue cheese and stir well.