Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
This is an Egyptian dessert that is similiar to bread pudding in the US. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheets, and place flat on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Break the puff pastry into pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the raisins, almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, and coconut, and toss to distribute.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, and stir in the sugar and vanilla.
- Heat until hot but not quite boiling.
- Pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil for 2 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.
This is a very awesome recipe! My Egyptian husband went crazy over it and Im not kidding about this: he ate the ENTIRE tray by himself in one evening. Needless to say, it's a keeper!! Thanks for this!