Recipe by Sassy in da South
This is an Egyptian dessert that is similiar to bread pudding in the US. Serve with vanilla ice cream, if desired.
Top Review by UmmIbrahim
This is a very awesome recipe! My Egyptian husband went crazy over it and Im not kidding about this: he ate the ENTIRE tray by himself in one evening. Needless to say, it's a keeper!! Thanks for this!
- 1 (17 1/4 ounce) package frozen puff pastry, thawed
- 5 cups milk
- 1 cup white sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 1⁄4 cup slivered almonds
- 1⁄4 cup pine nuts
- 1⁄4 cup pistachio nut, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup sweetened flaked coconut
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees.
- Unroll the puff pastry sheets, and place flat on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, or until puffed and golden brown.
- Break the puff pastry into pieces, and place in a large bowl.
- Add the raisins, almonds, pine nuts, pistachios, and coconut, and toss to distribute.
- Pour into a 9x13 inch glass baking dish, and spread evenly.
- Pour the milk into a saucepan, and stir in the sugar and vanilla.
- Heat until hot but not quite boiling.
- Pour over the mixture in the baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven.
- Turn the oven to broil, and broil for 2 minutes to brown the top.
- Remove from the oven and let stand for 5 minutes.
- Serve warm.