Recipe by mollypaul
From Executive chef Goran Streng of the Hawaii Prince Hotel Waikiki. Cooking time is approximate.
- 1 large breadfruit
- 2 cups boiling water
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄2 cup sliced onion
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup carrot, peeled and diced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 cups milk
- 1 cup corn kernel (either fresh or frozen)
- salt and pepper
- chopped parsley (to garnish) (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- Cook breadfruit in water.
- When fork tender, remove from water and reserve 2 cups of boiling liquid.
- Cool, peel and core breadfruit; cut into 1/2-inch dices (you should have about 2 cups).
- Cut bacon into small pieces and fry until light brown.
- Add onions, celery and carrots.
- Cook until tender.
- Add 2 cups of the reserved breadfruit boiling water and 1 1/2 teaspoons salt. Simmer until vegetables are soft and flavors have blended.
- Add milk and corn.
- Heat thoroughly.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste. Garnish with chopped parsley, if desired.