3 hrs 50 mins
Adapted from from Alice Medrich's Chewy Gooey Crispy Crunchy Melt-in-Your-Mouth Cookies by Caroline Russock at Serious Eats: Cook the Book http://bit.ly/gIhUCs
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 6 ounces unbleached all-purpose flour (1 1/3 cups)
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 10 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted (1 1/4 sticks)
- 1 1/2 ounces quick rolled oats (1/2 cup)
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 ounces packed dark brown sugar (1/4 cup)
- 2 ounces light corn syrup (2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon)
- 2 tablespoons whole milk
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 7 ounces bittersweet chocolate or 7 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped into chunks or 1 generous cup chocolate chips or 1 chocolate chunks
- 1Preheat the oven to 325°F Position racks in the upper and lower thirds of the oven.
- 2Combine the flour and baking soda in a small bowl and mix together thoroughly with a whisk or fork.
- 3In a large bowl, whisk together the melted butter, oats, white and brown sugars, corn syrup, milk, and salt. Mix in the flour mixture. If the batter is warm from the butter, let it cool before adding the chocolate. Stir in the chocolate chunks. If possible, let the dough rest for at least several hours at room temperature or (better still) overnight in the fridge. The rest makes for an especially crisp and extra-flavorful cookie!
- 4Divide the dough into 15 equal pieces. Lay out 3 sheets of aluminum foil, cut to fit your cookie sheets, on the counter. Arrange 5 pieces of dough (4 in a square and 1 in the center) well apart on each sheet of foil, remembering that the cookies will spread to 5 inches. Flatten each piece of dough until it is about 3 1/2 inches in diameter. Slide two of the sheets onto baking sheets.
- 5Bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until the cookies are thin and very brown. If they are too pale, they will not be crisp. Rotate the pans from top to bottom and front to back halfway through the baking time to ensure even baking. Slide the foil with cookies onto racks to cool completely before removing the cookies from the foil. Repeat with the third batch - you can even slide the next foil and cookie dough onto a hot baking sheet as long as you put the pan in the oven immediately. Cool the cookies completely before stacking or storing. May be kept in an airtight container for at least 3 days.
Browse Our Top Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultra-Thin Chocolate Chunk Cookies
Serving Size: 1 (54 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 15
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 175.9
- Calories from Fat 72
- Total Fat 8.0 g
- Saturated Fat 4.9 g
- Cholesterol 20.5 mg
- Sodium 126.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 24.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.5 g
- Sugars 11.5 g
- Protein 1.7 g