Prep 10 mins
Cook 45 mins
From the Deen Bros. cookbook, Y'all Come Eat.
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter, cut into pieces and softened, plus additional for coating dish
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 8 ounces cheddar cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 8 ounces American cheese, shredded (about 2 cups)
- 4 ounces cream cheese, cubed
- 1 cup half-and-half
- 4 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper (optional)
- fresh ground pepper
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Butter a 13 x 9-inch baking dish; set aside.
- In a large pot of water, cook the macaroni according to package directions; drain. Return the macaroni to the pot. Add cheeses to the hot macaroni and stir well; spread in the prepared dish.
- In a mdeium bowl, whisk together the 1/4 cup butter, the half-and-half, eggs,sour cream, salt, cayenne pepper (if using), and black pepper. Pour over the macaroni. Bake uncovered, 40 to 45 minutes or until golden brown and bubbling. Let stand for 10 minutes before serving.
This recipe was great. I couldn't find the American cheese so I used Monterray Jack. I also added about a cup more noodles but that was more so because the pan was a little too big and it looked empty. Everyone loved it!
LOVED it. I didn't add the eggs, though - I was afraid that would take the creaminess away.
I found this to be a little bland & it had a unusual texture for macaroni. I did melt the butter as suggested by Lainey. Made for 123 HITS