Recipe by Pot Scrubber
Recipe from the Food Network competition show Ultimate Recipe Showdown. This recipe wowed the judges! Credit to the creator Anne Tegtmeir.
Top Review by Kumquat the Cat's friend
My BF is a vegetarian who loves chili so to do him a favor I made this for him. I went to the store to buy the rest of the ingredients for this recipe and when I got home I realized I bought black bean soup instead of black beans! Since by then it was too late to go out again I went ahead and made this and it tasted really great, just a tad bit soupy! That was to be expected of course (hehe). Otherwise no changes, but I omitted the green chilies because the store didn't have any in stock. I have every intention of making this again the right way:) I loved the chipotle powder in this. This was the first time I experimented with frozen tofu and I loved the texture. By the way, I left the tofu in the refrigerator over night to thaw but had to put it out on the counter 2 hours before starting the recipe because it had not thawed yet. It was still a little frozen in the center, so give your tofu enough time to defrost! Thanks Potsie for helping to make by BF happy and giving me plenty of leftovers to bring to work for lunch.
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon dried chipotle powder
- 1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- 14 ounces extra firm tofu, frozen and thawed
- 2 (14 ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 (4 ounce) candiced jalapenos, drained
- 1 (4 ounce) can green chilies, drained
- 2 (14 ounce) cans black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (14 ounce) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
- 1⁄2 cup frozen corn
- 1⁄2 cup whole roasted cashews
- salt & freshly ground black pepper
- sour cream (optional)
- shredded cheddar cheese (optional)
- more roasted cashews (optional)
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large stockpot, saute onion, bell pepper, and garlic in the olive oil over medium-high heat until onions are starting to soften. Stir in cumin, chipotle, and red pepper flakes. Crumble the thawed tofu into the mixture and saute 5 minutes more.
- Reduce heat to medium. Add all tomatoes, jalapenos, green chiles, black beans, kidney beans, corn and cashews; mix well. Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally. Add salt and pepper, to taste.
- Garnish with sour cream, grated Cheddar, and additional cashews, if desired.