Recipe by cookiedog
This is the $400 winner in the Everything Onion Category in the BHG Magazine. This makes 16 appetizer servings.
Top Review by Chef Lainie
I HAVE MADE THIS WONDERFUL DISH SEVERAL TIMES NOW.I have only made one small change. There was too much filling for us , so I make 1/2 the amount, or make two rustic, flat tarts with two pie crusts.
- 1 (15 ounce) packagerolled unbaked refrigerated pie crusts
- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 1 vidalia onion, halved and thinly sliced (or other sweet onion)
- 1 large leek, halved lengthwise and thinly sliced
- 2 shallots, thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 3 ounces cream cheese, cubed and softened
- 3⁄4 cup shredded swiss cheese
- 3⁄4 cup shredded monterey jack pepper cheese
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 2⁄3 cup whipping cream
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375°F Let pie crust stand according to package directions.
- In a 12-inch skillet heat butter over medium heat; add onion, leek, shallots, sugar, nutmeg, pepper, and 3/4 teaspoons salt. Cook about 8 minutes or until tender but not browned, stirring occasionally.
- Reduce heat. Stir in cream cheese until melted.
- Stir in Swiss and Monterey Jack cheeses until combined.
- In a large bowl combine eggs and cream. Gradually stir in onion mixture until combined.
- Ease pie crust into 9-inch pie plate; pour onion mixture into pie crust. Fold edge of crust over filling, pleating as necessary.
- Bake, uncovered, about 40 minutes or until crust and top are golden brown and a knife inserted near center comes out clean.
- Cool on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes. Cut in 16 wedges. Serve warm.