Prep 15 mins
Cook 1 hr 30 mins
I have made this as a main course for many dinner parties, and I always get great reviews, even from kids! Don't let the amount of ingredients scare you away! It is really a dump in and let sit style soup. If you are a vegetarian, simply omit sausage, up the fresh spinach, and use vegetable broth instead of beef broth. My vegetarian friends love it! This recipe came from my dear Great Aunt Frankie, with a few additions of my own. This soup is wonderful served with crunchy bread.
- 1 lb Italian sausage
- 1 cup coarsely chopped onion
- 3 cloves garlic, sliced
- 5 cups beef broth
- 1⁄2 cup water
- 1⁄2 cup dry red wine (use a wine you would drink, do not use cooking wine. Something like a good merlot or cabernet would)
- 2 cups chopped tomatoes (2 cans)
- 1 cup thinly sliced carrot
- 1⁄2 teaspoon basil
- 1⁄2 teaspoon oregano
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 1⁄2 cups sliced zucchini
- 8 ounces cheese tortellini (2 cups)
- 3 tablespoons chopped parsley
- 1 medium green pepper
- 2 cups fresh spinach leaves
- grated parmesan cheese
- Brown sausage.
- Drain and set aside.
- Sauté onion and garlic in olive oil until fragrant and translucent.
- Careful not to burn the garlic.
- Add broth, water, wine, tomatoes, carrots, basil, oregano, tomato sauce, and sausage.
- Boil 30 minutes.
- Stir in zucchini, tortellini, parley, peppers.
- Simmer 35-40 minutes.
- Right before serving, stir in the spinach leaves.
- Sprinkle with parmesan.
Healthy and delicious ! I made the vegetarian version with the spinach and it was wonderful. Next time I will try adding the meat - can hardly wait !!
Wow! This was delicious! I took a chance on making for the first time for Christmas Eve supper. A success! Great flavors. The fresh parmesan just before serving is key. Forgot the spinach..but kids appreciated that!