Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Recipe by daawat.com
- 1 1⁄4 cups sugar
- 1 cup butter flavor shortening or 1 cup butter, stick
- 2 eggs
- 1⁄4 cup pancake syrup
- 1 tablespoon vanilla essence
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Combine sugar and shortening in a large bowl. Beat at medium speed of electric mixer until well blended.
- Add eggs, syrup and vanilla. Beat until well blended and fluffy.
- Combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Add gradually to the creamed mixture at low speed. Mix until just blended.
- Divide dough into 4 quarters. Wrap each quarter of dough with plastic wrap. Refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Heat oven to 375 degrees F. Spread 1 tbsp of flour on large sheet of waxed paper. Place 1/4th of dough on floured paper. Flatten slightly with hands.
- Turn dough over and cover with another large sheet of waxed paper. Roll dough into 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out cookies with floured cutter.
- Transfer to ungreased baking sheet with large pancake turner. Place 2 inches apart. Sprinkle with granulated sugar or colored sugar crystals, or leave plain to frost when cooled.
- Bake one baking sheet at a time for 5-9 minutes, depending on the size of cutouts. Bake smaller, thinner cutouts closer to 5 minutes; larger cutouts closer to 9 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool for 2 minutes on baking sheet. Place sheets of foil on countertop. Remove cookies to foil to cool completely, then frost if desired.