Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
I love this recipe it is fantabulous, and one of my very favorite dishes that I make. If I have any leftover filling I usually stuff a couple of hollowed out bell peppers with it and bake alongside the stuffed eggplants, so you don't waste any of that yummy filling and it is delicious that way too.
- 1 large eggplant
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1 medium onion, chopped finely
- 1 bell pepper, chopped finely
- 1 cup cooked rice
- 2 cups spaghetti sauce
- 1⁄2 cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic powder, to taste
- Cut eggplant in half lengthwise and scoop out the centers without tearing the outer skin, I use a spoon and a knife to carefully do this. I like to leave just a bit of the white part inside, it takes on the flavors of the filling well after it's been baked and just adds to it.
- Cut up the eggplant center into small cubes. Lightly brown meat and season with salt, pepper & garlic powder to suit your taste.
- Add onions, bell peppers and the cubed eggplant and cook until tender adding more seasoning if necessary to your own tastes.
- Add about 1/4 cup of the tomato sauce when the mixture is almost ready.
- Add the cooked rice and stir well.
- Put some olive oil in the bottom of a baking dish and place your eggplant shells inside.
- Fill the uncooked eggplant shells with mixture, and pour the tomato sauce over the eggplants.
- Sprinkle with fresh grated parmesan.
- COVER the baking dish with foil and bake for 30-40 minutes, in a preheated 180 Celsius or 350 Fahrenheit oven.
- *Hint spray foil lightly with olive oil or Pam before baking so that it won't stick to the eggplants while baking.