Prep 5 hrs
Cook 35 mins
If you think it sounds good, you'll probably think it tastes good. The strawberries and the creamy custard and topping complement each other very nicely especially with the grahm cracker crust. It is a very attractive dish that can be served to people of all ages. Post reviews. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 cups graham cracker crumbs
- 6 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 -4 cups sliced strawberries (depending on taste)
- 3 cups whole milk
- 3⁄4 cup white sugar
- 1⁄3 cup flour
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 pint whipping cream
- 1⁄3 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1 -2 teaspoon vanilla (I like a lot)
- 1⁄2-1 cup crushed strawberry (again, depending on taste)
- sliced strawberry (to garnish)
- FOR CRUST: mix crumbs and butter till evenly coated.
- press into 9" pie plate and bake at 350 degrees about 7 minutes or until just brown.
- set aside to cool.
- FOR FILLING: scald milk over medium-low heat in saucepan.
- (till bubbles start forming around the edges) BE CAREFUL NOT TO OVERCOOK!
- this will lead to a burnt aftertaste.
- In another saucepan, combine the sugar, flour, and salt.
- slowly pour in and mix the scalded milk.
- cook over medium heat stirring constantly until the custard thickens.
- when it thickens up a bit, cover and cook for two minutes longer stirring occasionally.
- take custard and pour small amount into yolks mixing thoroughly, then slowly mix in the rest of the custard.
- stir in the butter and vanilla and return to the saucepan on medium for a minute or two longer stirring constantly.
- take off heat and let cool to room temperature.
- When all is cool, take sliced strawberries and scatter into crust as thickly as looks delicious to you.
- pour the custard over the berries and refrigerate covered at least several hours till set.
- FOR TOPPING: combine cream, sugar and vanilla in bowl, beat till slightly stiff.
- stir in crushed berries and beat until stiff.
- spread evenly over top of the the pie and place back in the refrigerator covered for another hour optimally.
- Remove from fridge and arrange sliced strawberries in a circular pattern on top and serve.
Very, very good! Also, I opted to use 1 tsp. pure vanilla and 1/2 tsp. almond extract for the whipped cream. This recipe did not take 5 3/4 hours! It took me 1 1/2 hours to prep and assemble but it did require a few hours in the fridge to set up. I also cheated and bought a graham cracker crust to save time. You can speed up the cooling process for the custard by transfering it to a seperate container and placing plastic wrap directly on the top surface to cover (so it wont form a skin) & chill in the fridge. You can then go on to slice some strawberries and assemble the whipped cream.
be sure not to use frozen berries