Prep 10 mins
Cook 7 mins
This is by far the best burger recipe I have tried. It is a recipe I clipped from a magazine--sorry folks, just can't remember which one. TRY THESE you'll never fix a plain hamburger again. They are so tender and juicy and the bacon fat adds just a hint of smoky flavor. I don't think you'll be sorry!
- 8 slices bacon
- 1 -2 slice white bread, crusts removed, cut into 1 inch pieces. (about 1 cup)
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 1⁄2 lbs of 85- 90% lean ground beef
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 large garlic cloves, very finely minced
- vegetable oil, for grill rack
- Fry bacon in skillet. Place 3 tablespoons of bacon fat into heatproof bowl and set in refrigerator while preparing other ingredients.
- Put bread in bowl, add milk, and let mixture sit about 5 minutes. Using a fork, mash bread and milk till smooth paste forms.
- Break up beef into small bits into a medium size bowl. Season with salt and pepper, then add garlic, bread paste, and reserved chilled bacon fat. Lightly knead all ingredients to mix and incorporate. Divide into 4 patties.
- Oil cooking grate and grill burgers over a very hot fire, without squeezing down on them, until well seared on both sides (7-10 mins depending on preference for doneness). Top burgers with bacon previously cooked. Serve on buns.
I love these burgers! My mother has been making them for years.
These are the best burgers ever. I've made them several times from the magazine, but lost the recipe. So happy to find it here!
I love the texture doing the panade does to the meat. Very tender!!