Recipe by SrirachaCookbook
Reprinted with permission from The Sriracha Cookbook: 50 “Rooster Sauce” Recipes That Pack a Punch by Randy Clemens, copyright © 2011. Published by Ten Speed Press, a division of Random House, Inc. Check out more at http://www.thesrirachacookbook.com
- 3 lbs ground beef (preferably chuck, 80/20)
- 1⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 10 tablespoons sriracha sauce
- 4 teaspoons fresh ground black pepper
- 4 slices thick slab bacon
- 2 large sweet onions
- 3⁄4 cup blue cheese dressing
- 8 hamburger buns with sesame seeds
- 8 slices swiss cheese (thick slices)
- 1 large beefsteak tomato, sliced
- arugula or romaine lettuce
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the ground beef, soy sauce, 5 tablespoons of the Sriracha, and the pepper. Do not overmix. Form the mixture into 8 patties, and set aside, on a parchment-lined baking sheet, covered, in the refrigerator.
- Preheat a charcoal or gas grill to medium-high heat.
- In a medium frying pan over medium-low heat, cook the bacon, turning as necessary. While the bacon is cooking, peel and quarter the onions. Cut each section into ¼-inch slices. Once the bacon is cooked through and slightly crispy, remove the slices from the pan, cut each in half crosswise, and drain onto paper towels, reserving the remaining bacon fat in the pan. Cook the sliced onions in the bacon fat over medium-low heat until they caramelize, 20-25 minutes.
- Grill the burgers, turning once, 4-4½ minutes on each side or until a meat thermometer registers 130-135 degrees for medium-rare.
- While the burgers are cooking, in a small bowl, combine the blue cheese dressing with the remaining 5 tablespoons Sriracha. Lightly toast the buns on the grill during the last minute of cooking time.
- To assemble, spread the blue cheese mixture on both halves of each hamburger bun. Stack a burger patty, Swiss cheese slice, bacon, caramelized onions, tomato slice, and a small handful of arugula between each hamburger bun.