These are time consuming but so good! Especially if you aren't close to a good bakery. They make excellent sourdough rolls for sandwiches like french dip.
- In a large bowl combine water, starter, and 3 c flour, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in the salt, sugar, yeast, and gluten, then add 2 more cups flour.
- Stir until starts to pull away from sides of bowl, add only enough flour to make a slack, sticky dough.
- Knead 5 minutes and turn into an oiled bowl.
- Let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Deflate and divide into 6 thin or 3 thick baguettes or several rolls.
- Place at least 4 inches apart from each other.
- Baguettes should be aprox. 18 inches long.
- Place a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap on top and let rise 1 hour.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle w/ desired topping.
- Spray w/ olive oil.
- Bake in 450°F oven for 20 min, remove from oven, place rack at top of oven.
- Put bread back in and broil till deep golden brown in color, watching closely!
- Remove and serve.