1/4 Photos of Ultimate Sourdough Baguettes
3 hrs 25 mins
These are time consuming but so good! Especially if you aren't close to a good bakery. They make excellent sourdough rolls for sandwiches like french dip.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 1/4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (with 1 T water)
- 1In a large bowl combine water, starter, and 3 c flour, mixing until smooth.
- 2Stir in the salt, sugar, yeast, and gluten, then add 2 more cups flour.
- 3Stir until starts to pull away from sides of bowl, add only enough flour to make a slack, sticky dough.
- 4Knead 5 minutes and turn into an oiled bowl.
- 5Let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- 6Deflate and divide into 6 thin or 3 thick baguettes or several rolls.
- 7Place at least 4 inches apart from each other.
- 8Baguettes should be aprox. 18 inches long.
- 9Place a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap on top and let rise 1 hour.
- 10Brush with egg wash and sprinkle w/ desired topping.
- 11Spray w/ olive oil.
- 12Bake in 450°F oven for 20 min, remove from oven, place rack at top of oven.
- 13Put bread back in and broil till deep golden brown in color, watching closely!
- 14Remove and serve.
Browse Our Top Sourdough Breads Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Sourdough Breads Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Sourdough Baguettes
Serving Size: 1 (981 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 1
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 2403.9
- Calories from Fat 98
- Total Fat 10.9 g
- Saturated Fat 2.5 g
- Cholesterol 188.8 mg
- Sodium 4684.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 492.0 g
- Dietary Fiber 20.2 g
- Sugars 10.1 g
- Protein 73.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
vital wheat gluten