Prep 3 hrs
Cook 25 mins
These are time consuming but so good! Especially if you aren't close to a good bakery. They make excellent sourdough rolls for sandwiches like french dip.
- 1 1⁄4 cups lukewarm water
- 2 cups proofed sourdough starter
- 5 -6 cups flour
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 4 teaspoons yeast
- 4 teaspoons vital wheat gluten
- 1 egg yolk, lightly beaten (with 1 T water)
- italian seasoning
- sesame seeds
- poppy seed
- In a large bowl combine water, starter, and 3 c flour, mixing until smooth.
- Stir in the salt, sugar, yeast, and gluten, then add 2 more cups flour.
- Stir until starts to pull away from sides of bowl, add only enough flour to make a slack, sticky dough.
- Knead 5 minutes and turn into an oiled bowl.
- Let rise 1-1/2 to 2 hours.
- Deflate and divide into 6 thin or 3 thick baguettes or several rolls.
- Place at least 4 inches apart from each other.
- Baguettes should be aprox. 18 inches long.
- Place a lightly greased piece of plastic wrap on top and let rise 1 hour.
- Brush with egg wash and sprinkle w/ desired topping.
- Spray w/ olive oil.
- Bake in 450°F oven for 20 min, remove from oven, place rack at top of oven.
- Put bread back in and broil till deep golden brown in color, watching closely!
- Remove and serve.
WOW great bread. Made them into 7 small baguettes, just like I was looking for. Going to use them for baked egg boats. Didn't need to put them under the broiler as mine were beautiful when they came out of the oven. Loved how easy the dough was to work with.
Made this last night and you are soooo right it's the "ULTIMATE" Baguettes. I made them exactly as directed using poppy seeds as thats our favorite and slashing the rolls just before they went into the oven. The rose wonderful into nice shapes, the outside was that great crusty crunch you want on them with a soft, light texture inside. I got 8 good sized baguettes out of them and everyone went back for seconds. Thanks homegirl for a recipe that will be used again and again. I'll be back later to post a picture once I get it downloaded.
I made this last week and it was great. Very tasty and good crust. It was a little too chewy so I will cut the gluten in half next time. I made 2 long loaves and 3 rolls. I put poppy seeds on one loaf and caraway seeds on the other (favorite) and sesame seeds on the rolls.