Recipe by Tooltime
I was asked to bring a potato dish for Christmas and this is what I came up with. Everyone loved them and the dish was empty by the end of dinner...which I took as the ultimate compliment. As with all my creations I am usually inspired by other great chefs on this site. The inspiration for these came from "Twice Baked Potato Casserole #26043" by MizzNezz.
Top Review by Bonnie G #2
Ultimate is a good name for these, so good with an amazing mix of flavors. I only used cheddar cheese as that's all I had but know it would be even better with both types. I'm going to make these again and make sure I have all the right cheese on hand. Makes a lot so had plenty left over and I'm better it's going to be even better the 2nd time around
- 6 -8 medium potatoes, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1 lb bacon, cooked drained and crumbled (reserve grease)
- 2 cups pre-shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- Grease 13x9" casserole dish with reserved bacon grease.
- In bowl wisk together the evaporated milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, horseradish, and garlic.
- Slice onions and carmalize in pan with butter and pinch of sugar on Medium-low heat. This takes several minutes so be patient.
- Layer half the potatoes in casserole dish followed by 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the crumbled bacon, 1/2 the liquid, and half the cheese. Repeat steps with remaining ingredients.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours. Cover with aluminum foil if top starts to get to dark.