Prep 35 mins
Cook 1 hr
I was asked to bring a potato dish for Christmas and this is what I came up with. Everyone loved them and the dish was empty by the end of dinner...which I took as the ultimate compliment. As with all my creations I am usually inspired by other great chefs on this site. The inspiration for these came from "Twice Baked Potato Casserole #26043" by MizzNezz.
- 6 -8 medium potatoes, sliced thin
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1⁄2 teaspoon granulated garlic
- 1 tablespoon prepared horseradish
- 1 (12 ounce) can fat-free evaporated milk
- 3 cups sour cream
- 1 lb bacon, cooked drained and crumbled (reserve grease)
- 2 cups pre-shredded cheddar cheese
- 2 cups pre-shredded mozzarella cheese
- 4 medium onions, sliced
- 2 green onions, chopped
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 pinch sugar
- Grease 13x9" casserole dish with reserved bacon grease.
- In bowl wisk together the evaporated milk, sour cream, salt, pepper, horseradish, and garlic.
- Slice onions and carmalize in pan with butter and pinch of sugar on Medium-low heat. This takes several minutes so be patient.
- Layer half the potatoes in casserole dish followed by 1/2 the onions, 1/2 the crumbled bacon, 1/2 the liquid, and half the cheese. Repeat steps with remaining ingredients.
- Place in a 350 degree oven for 1 1/2 -2 hours. Cover with aluminum foil if top starts to get to dark.
For flavor I would say definitely a 5 star recipe! There was a little something with the texture of the sauce that was unappealing (I'll have to play around & see if that can be tweaked) & I wasn't sure when or where to use the green onions, so I sprinkled them on top as a garnish. We loved the unique flavors imparted by the caramelized onion & the bacon. YUM! DH does not eat or like scalloped potatoes, as he & DD can't eat cheese, so I made half with mozzarella & sharp cheddar for DS & I and half without cheese for DH & DD. Everyone really liked the flavor in their portions. I think the horseradish is a nice addition & I may even add a little extra next time. I'm so happy to have found a scalloped potatoe recipe that has enough flavor to stand alone for those in the house that can't have the cheese. :) Thank you! Thank you! Thank you for posting your creation, Tooltime. It's going to be a recipe I will make again & again. Made & enjoyed for Spring 2009 Pick A Chef.