Recipe by Vaguely Vegan
My mom always made these for special occasions. They are so delicious and make a very impressive presentation. Time to make includes the two hours to chill the crepe batter.
- 1 1⁄2 cups flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 4 eggs
- 2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon tarragon
- 1 1⁄2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 egg yolks, slightly beaten
- 1 lb canned salmon, drained,deboned and flaked
- 1 tablespoon chives
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 3 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine flour and salt in a medium sized blow.
- Beat eggs until blended in a small bowl; stir in milk; beat into flour mixture until smooth.
- Melt butter and stir into batter.
- Cover and chill two hours.
- Heat a 7-inch frying pan; test temperature by sprinkling a few drops of water- when drops bounce about, the temperature is right.
- Measure batter, 2 tbsp at a time into pan, tilting pan to cover bottom.
- Bake crepe 1 to 2 minutes or until bottoms browns; turn; bake 1 minute longer.
- As crepes are baked, stack on a plate with paper towels between; keep warm.
- Repeat with remaining batter, buttering pan before each baking, to make about 24 crepes.
- Melt 3 tbsp butter in a medium-sized saucepan; blend in the 3 tbsp four.
- Cook, stirring constantly until bubbly.
- Stir in salt, pepper, tarragon and cream.
- Continue cooking and stirring until sauce thickens and boils for 1 minute.
- Beat egg yolks slightly in a small bowl; stir in about half of the sauce (while it is still hot), then stir back into remaining sauce in pan.
- Cook 1 minute longer, remove from heat.
- Blend 3/4 cup of the sauce with the salmon and chives in a medium-sized bowl; stir lemon juice into remaining sauce.
- Place heaping tbsp of the salmon mixture on each crepe; roll up, jelly roll fashion and place in a single layer in a buttered broilerproof dish, 13X9X2.
- Pour remaining sauce over crepes; sprinkle Parmesan cheese over all.
- Bake in a 400 oven for 10 minutes or until bubbly (if you prefer top slightly brown, place in broiler for 2 to 3 minutes).
- Serve hot.