Recipe by Brandy Brinton
A flavorful, fall apart roast. Also the stock makes wonderful gravy just thicken with cornstarch. Great as left overs; shredded beef fajitas, tacos, enchiladas, beef salad, beef stews, BBQ shredded beef sandwiches and more.
Top Review by cedarglen
Like many, I follow the basic methods and adjust ingredients to satisfy our needs and tastes. In this case, the veggies and *thoroughly* browning the meat are a a huge plus! I ship the onion soup and 'Au jus' mixes, substituting more garlic, more fresh onion, variable herbs of choice and my own beef stock and/or Beef Extract to achieve the necessary fluid volume. The robust flavors do make it into the meat, an inexpensive, lean, usually tough cut that it made mouth-melting tender and tasty. The (cooked) meat can be used for any number of other dishes or stand on its own. Wee reduce the salt content for taste reasons (not health). Those with health-salt issues can cut the sodium content by half with these simple changes. The sodium level is the only reason I've not given this method five stars. For our favorite Beef Stew, I cube the meat before browning and change the seasoning a little, use slightly smaller veggie chunks (adding them later), use more veggies and cook for only 5-6 hours. The wife likes it so it has become the go-to. Simple is usually better than complicated...
- 4 -7 lbs beef roast
- 1 tablespoon oil
- 3 stalks celery
- 4 -6 large carrots
- 2 large onions
- 2 cups beef stock (or broth)
- 1 (2 ounce) package onion soup mix
- 1 (1 ounce) package au jus mix
Directions See How It's Made
- Add slow-cooker liner for easy clean up. Peel and chop vegetables into large chunks.
- Add 1/2 of the Onion soup mix and 1/2 of the Au Jus mix to slow cooker.
- Add oil into frying pan, turn on high heat. Brown roast on all sides. Add to slow cooker.
- Add vegetables to slow-cooker, add remaining Au Jus and Onion Soup Mix. Pour beef stock over roast & vegetables.
- Cook on low for 8-10 hours, turning half way through. Roast is done when meat falls apart.