Recipe by Roxygirl in Colorado
Better Homes and Garden's says that this is the "ultimate" and I agree! I LOVE rice pudding and most times it is creamy until it's refrigerated. This one makes a separate custard sauce that you fold in before serving. Prep. time is the cooking time. Allow 4 hours to chill.
- 1 cup water
- 3⁄4 cup milk
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup arborio rice
- 1 teaspoon butter
- 1 cup half-and-half or 1 cup light cream
- 1⁄2 vanilla beans, halved lengthwise or 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 2 large egg yolks
- 1⁄3 cup sugar
Directions See How It's Made
- In a saucepan heat water, milk, and salt. When liquid is almost boiling stir in rice and butter.
- Bring to boiling, immediately reduce heat and simmer, covered, over VERY low heat for 35-40 min (stirring every 5 min)until all the liquid is absorbed.
- Transfer rice into a large bowl.
- Scrape vanilla seeds into cream in saucepan and heat just until boiling.
- In a bowl whisk yolks and sugar and mix with heated cream (quickly, so it doesn't curdle).
- Cook over medium-low heat, stirring constantly, for 5-7 min, until mixture coats a metal spoon.
- Pour 1 cup of hot sauce into rice and stir to blend (if using vanilla extract add now).
- Transfer remaining sauce to a bowl and refrigerate (tightly cover with plastic wrap).
- Chil several hours and before serving, stir remaining sauce into rice.