Prep 5 mins
Cook 0 mins
From "Tyler's Ultimate," episode "Ultimate Indian Dinner."
- 1 English cucumber
- 1 thai bird chili pepper, deseeded and minced fine
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 9.85 ml kosher salt
- 1.23 ml fresh ground black pepper
- 1 lemon, juice of
- 473.18 ml plain yogurt
- Wash cucumber well and chop into 1/4" dice.
- Add chili, cumin, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add lemon juice and yogurt and stir again.
- Serve in a pretty bowl with curry or samosas.
This raita is delicious. I followed the recipe carefully, only halving it because of the limited number of diners here. I did use less salt as a personal preference. I tasted the raita when it was ready, and was very happy with it. Since I tend to gild the lily, I then stirred in some chopped fresh coriander leaves and sprinkled just a little paprika on top for color. Thank you very much for posting this recipe. I think it's the one. Oh, I forgot to mention that I unilaterally decided that one slash two bird chilies meant one to two, rather than one half. I used one whole bird chili for my half recipe and didn't really notice that it was there. (However, not everyone is insensitive to heat.)