Recipe by LA28
From Bon Appetit. My husband says this is the best he's ever had.
Top Review by Roxygirl in Colorado
I made this for company and it was loved by all! I didn't make the pie crust since I had one prepared. I did not have brown sugar on hand so I used molasses. I could kick myself because I bought the preserves and forgot to use them! After tasting the pie I could imagine the preserves would really be wonderful and I will try it next time. The texture of this pie is totally fabulous. It must be the sour cream. It has such a firm dense bite to it that really makes this pie deluctable and somehow it adds to the flavor, too. Your husband is "right on the money" and this is the best pumpkin pie I've ever had, too!Thanks Imrendil, for making me look good in front of my in-laws! Roxygirl
For the Crust
- 1 1⁄4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup powdered sugar
- 1⁄2 cup chilled butter, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons whipping cream
For the Filling
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 1 tablespoon packed golden brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 3⁄4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 (15 ounce) can solid pack pumpkin
- 3⁄4 cup whipping cream
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 3 large eggs, beaten to blend
- 1⁄4 cup apricot preserves
Directions See How It's Made
- For crust:.
- Preheat oven to 350°F Blend first 3 ingredients in food processor until mixture resembles coarse meal. Add cream and process until moist clumps form. Gather dough into ball, flatten into disk. Wrap in plastic; chill 15 minutes.
- Roll out dough on floured surface to 14-inch round. Transfer dough to 9-inch glass pie dish. Trim overhang to 1 inch. Fold overhang under. Make cut in crust edge at 1/2 inch intervals. Bend alternate edge pieces inward. Freeze 15 minutes.
- Line crust with foil, pressing firmly. Bake until sides are set, about 10 minutes. Remove foil. Bake crust until pale brown, about 10 minutes more. Reduce oven temperature to 325°F.
- For filling:.
- Using whisk, mix first 6 ingredients in bowl until no lumps remain. Blend in pumpkin, whipping cream, sour cream and eggs.
- Spread preserves over crust; pour in filling. Bake until filling puffs at edges and center is almost set, about 55 minutes. Cool on rack. Cover; chill until cold. (Can be made 1 day ahead.).
- Notes: We usually make a different crust, so I can't really comment on that part. I'm guessing on the prep times.