Recipe by treko
I found this on the net last year and have made it too many times to count. Best soup recipe I think I have!
Top Review by Graybert
I've tried this soup before and think that it is great! I omited the tarragon in mine(I just am not found of this spice in soup or stews). Great recipe for a cold winter night- I also added some chopped green onions on top before serving!
- 1 lb bacon, diced
- 2 stalks celery, diced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 onion, chopped
- 8 potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 tablespoons margarine
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 1 cup heavy cream
- 1 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 3 teaspoons fresh cilantro, chopped
- salt and pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- In a dutch oven cook bacon till soft/ crisp, remove from pan and set aside.
- Drain off fat except for 1/4 of a cup and cook onion and celery till onion is translucent.
- Add garlic and cook for 1-2 minutes add potatoes and toss to coat.
- Sauté for 4-5 minutes.
- Add bacon and cover with enough stock to just cover potatoes.
- Cover and simmer till potatoes are tender.
- In separate pan melt margarine and cook with flour for 1-2 minutes. Add cream, tarragon and cilantro and bring mixture to a boil to thicken, stirring constantly.
- Add cream mixture to potato mixture, heating through.
- Puree about 1/2 the soup and return to pot.
- Season to taste and serve.