This pizza sauce recipe was given to me as a wedding present, written on the inside cover of a pizza cookbook. It is thick, saucy, spicy and delicious. I'll never use anything else on my homemade pizzas. I like to double or triple it and put it in Ziploc bags in my freezer.
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1⁄2 cup onion, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup celery, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 (8 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 2 tablespoons grated parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 small bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon fennel seed
- In a large skillet, melt butter with the oil. Add the onion, celery and garlic and saute until soft and transparent.
- Add tomato sauce and tomato paste and stir until smooth.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring to slow simmer.
- Simmer for 30-60 minutes (or not at all depending on your taste and time frame).
- Remove the bay leaf and spread the sauce on your prepared pizza dough.