Prep 20 mins
Cook 1 hr 45 mins
I found this recipe on a Wedding website, that someone used for their wedding cake. It lovely and heavy, great for decorating with Ganache
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (optional)
- 185 ml hot water
- 150 g plain flour
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1⁄2 cup cocoa powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 1⁄4 cups caster sugar
- 125 ml buttermilk (or alternatively 125ml Milk and 1/4tsp vinegar)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- Grease 22 cm round tin, and line with baking paper. Make sure paper is extended 5cms above top of tin.
- Cut unsalted butter cut into cubes.
- Melt Chocolate, Butter, Water and coffee over hot water bath.
- Stir to combine and cool.
- Sift plain flour, self raising flour, cocoa powder and Bi-Carb Soda into a bowl.
- Stir in castor sugar.
- Make a well in the centre.
- In a jug mix together eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Stir egg mixture into flour mixture with large metal spoon do not to overstir.
- Then gradually stir in melted chocolate mixture.
- Pour mixture into prepared tin, and bake at 160 C for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- If cake still looks wet/raw in middle, bake for 5-10 mins more.
- When cooked, remove from oven.
- Cool in tin until completely cold before turning out.
- Can be refridgerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks, or in a cool dry place for 1 week.
- Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- Decorate cake as desired with your favourite Ganache recipe.
Easy and delicious best mud cake I've had. Thanks for the recipe
This is a great recipe it is even better if you leave it 24hrs before eating. It is very moist and not to sweet. everyone loved it.