2 hrs 5 mins
1 hr 45 mins
I found this recipe on a Wedding website, that someone used for their wedding cake. It lovely and heavy, great for decorating with Ganache
My Private Note
22 cm c ...
Units: US | Metric
- 250 g unsalted butter
- 250 g dark chocolate
- 2 tablespoons instant coffee (optional)
- 185 ml hot water
- 150 g plain flour
- 150 g self raising flour
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/2 teaspoon bicarbonate of soda
- 2 1/4 cups caster sugar
- 125 ml buttermilk (or alternatively 125ml Milk and 1/4tsp vinegar)
- 4 eggs
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 1Grease 22 cm round tin, and line with baking paper. Make sure paper is extended 5cms above top of tin.
- 2Cut unsalted butter cut into cubes.
- 3Melt Chocolate, Butter, Water and coffee over hot water bath.
- 4Stir to combine and cool.
- 5Sift plain flour, self raising flour, cocoa powder and Bi-Carb Soda into a bowl.
- 6Stir in castor sugar.
- 7Make a well in the centre.
- 8In a jug mix together eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- 9Stir egg mixture into flour mixture with large metal spoon do not to overstir.
- 10Then gradually stir in melted chocolate mixture.
- 11Pour mixture into prepared tin, and bake at 160 C for 1 hour and 45 minutes.
- 12If cake still looks wet/raw in middle, bake for 5-10 mins more.
- 13When cooked, remove from oven.
- 14Cool in tin until completely cold before turning out.
- 15Can be refridgerated in an airtight container for up to 3 weeks, or in a cool dry place for 1 week.
- 16Can be frozen for up to 2 months.
- 17Decorate cake as desired with your favourite Ganache recipe.
Browse Our Top Dessert Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Dessert Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Ultimate Mud Cake
Serving Size: 1 (159 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 12
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 568.9
- Calories from Fat 292
- Total Fat 32.5 g
- Saturated Fat 18.6 g
- Cholesterol 107.2 mg
- Sodium 96.7 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 70.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 5.4 g
- Sugars 38.3 g
- Protein 9.2 g